Re: historic wildrose station-Why did?
Posted by sas on April 26, 2002 at 21:04:32:
In Reply to: Re: historic wildrose station-Why did? posted by Fran on April 26, 2002 at 18:36:01:
an historic stage stop in the past, was closed down on jan 04, 1971. the reason the NPS did so is muddled. ever since DV was proclaimed a national monument by president hoover on feb 11, 1933, wildrose station was privately owned on leased land under 6 year leases.
daniel tobin, acting director of the western region of the NPS was quoted as saying " the NPS does does not feel it can in good conscience continue such a marginal concession operation."
tobin also said the NPS would like to remove the commercial aspects at wildrose to " more accurately display the historic flavor of the area."
the government got no percentage- only rent.
in the heyday of the skidoo gold camp in 1905, stagecoaches stopped at wildrose station on the run between skidoo and mojave. under the big rock as the panamint indians and early day miners called the high westerly rock structure which still creates the shady oasis, john callaway operated a cafe.
while passengers rested in the cafe, stage drivers watered the mules and sometimes sought repairs in the blacksmith shop.
erected in 1932, the buildings, the park service assured, " it is not our intention to dispose of the historic buildings."
the buildings were flattened and hauled away.
just another good example of TYRANNY :(