Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

End of Year 2016

More
1 year 9 months ago #610 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall replied the topic: End of Year 2016
Thanks for the nice overview of your trip, Andrew. Sounds like everything turned out real well.

My favorite pictures were those nice shallow narrows you found. You got some great shots from above and below.

And thanks for the look into Lemoigne Canyon and the cabins up there. I've never seen much of that area before. Only read about it. Looks like there was some snow on the hillsides. The Geologic Warp photo was quite interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ADunning
  • ADunning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Geologist, Musician, and DV enthusiast.
More
1 year 9 months ago #608 by ADunning
ADunning replied the topic: End of Year 2016
All of my pictures can be seen on Flikr, here:

www.flickr.com/photos/145968792@N02/albums/72157677086797391

Keep up with my trip reports and informative ramblings over at dvexplore.blogspot.com !
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I miss Death Valley;...

• ADunning
  • ADunning's Avatar Topic Author
  • Geologist, Musician, and DV enthusiast.
More
1 year 9 months ago #607 by ADunning
ADunning created the topic: End of Year 2016
I was in the valley between Dec. 25 and 29th. We did a lot of great stuff, and I'm working on a TR as I write this.

Included in this trip was: a return to a rock art site I call "Spectre Wash" , where it was cold and we found some ice in the wash. From there we visited one of my favorite mines, in the Inyo Mountains. I won't say the name, but I'm sure some of you will recognize it from pictures. Yes it's on public land. From there we did the loop behind Darwin past China Garden Spring (to visit the goldfish pond) and returned to camp.

Next day, we hauled down to Johnson Canyon to do a hike into poorly documented land south of Starvation Canyon to look for something that I didn't find on the trip. We got really close, but the short days meant the sun was threatening to set by 3:15. Lots of beautiful country out there, and ran into a fan of my site out there too, oddly.

Finally was the big event. After 9 years of camping off Lemoigne Canyon Road, I finally hiked to the old man's cabin high in the Cottonwoods. We set off to the cabin and visited a historically significant side canyon along the way filled with many inscriptions. After an incredible day and a great trip, we headed home the following morning.

Keep up with my trip reports and informative ramblings over at dvexplore.blogspot.com !
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I miss Death Valley;...