Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

Death Valley Natural Bridges database page updates

• ADunning
  • Geologist, Musician, and DV enthusiast.
More
1 year 9 months ago #591 by ADunning
ADunning replied the topic: Death Valley Natural Bridges database page updates
I'm much more comfortable in natural tunnels than artificial.

Nature's tunnels operate geologically. Man's tunnels operate and fall apart wishing the span of a few generations.

Keep up with my trip reports and informative ramblings over at dvexplore.blogspot.com !
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I miss Death Valley;...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steve Hall
  • Steve Hall's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #590 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall replied the topic: Death Valley Natural Bridges database page updates
Hi, Richard. Thanks for making that point. I added a distinct warning on the database page to let others know to stay out of the natural tunnel. I appreciate your input.

More
1 year 9 months ago #589 by RichardK
RichardK replied the topic: Death Valley Natural Bridges database page updates
The natural tunnels are amazing. But, they look really risky to enter. There is no way to know how stable they may be if at all.

• Steve Hall
  • Steve Hall's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #587 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall created the topic: Death Valley Natural Bridges database page updates
Having recently returned from spending four days in Death Valley, I spent some time in the park searching for additional major natural bridges and checking out previously found potential major natural bridges. I am happy to report that I was able to confirm both Turret Bridge and Crown Bridge as major natural bridges and add those to the database. Turret Bridge is #14 and Crown Bridge is #15.

Earlier this year, on January 1st, my friend Tobin and I discovered the incredible Double Bridge and nearby Squeeze Slot. Double Bridge is #16 on the database. For those of you who have not yet seen Double Bridge in person, it is fairly easy to hike to it and check it out. I highly recommend that, especially in view of the surprising location where the natural bridge is located.

On this recent trip, I went on a solo hike into a previously undocumented area in the Black Mountains and found another major natural bridge. This one I decided to call Cavern Bridge. Cavern Bridge is now #17 on the database page and is the most recent confirmed major natural bridge in the park.

A few days later, I was out hiking in the Funeral Slot area and came across a formation that Kauri had previously taken a photograph of. However, she didn't have a chance to check out the formation up close. I did get a chance to and it ended up being a "natural tunnel". I was able to hike all the way through the natural tunnel to the other side. We decided to call this unique formation Oriel Tunnel and you can check out photographs of it toward the end of the DV Natural Bridges database page. Everything is now current and fully updated on the DV Natural Bridges database page.

www.panamintcity.com/exclusives/dvnaturalbridges.html