Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

March 2016 Death Valley trip reports

More
2 years 4 months ago #65 by johnc
johnc replied the topic: March 2016 Death Valley trip reports
I the early 60's, I watched a tv show that had an interview with a man who survived a stranding in the desert, and being found by an Army patrol from Ft Irwin. One thing mentioned was his finding a cave and a spring and holing up where his dog defended him from a pack of coyotes. Always wondered if the real story was just wild animals being thirsty. This could be where he holed up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall replied the topic: March 2016 Death Valley trip reports
Fantastic reports, Kauri. I've been enjoying reading through them.

Cottonwood BM - Looks like a very nice hike. The standard climbers route you showed a picture of looks terrifying. I think I'll stick with your route if I ever try this one. Really enjoyed the wildflowers on this report. Good job figuring out all the IDs. DV Monkeyflower was a highlight. I had to research that flower after reading your report. Don't think I've ever come across that one.

Canyon E - That sure was a strange looking cactus bloom. Enjoyed seeing the wildflowers on this report as well. And also the small arch as well as the enclosed area with the greenery. It's neat that you are exploring this area off the Tucki Mine Rd which has never been documented before.

South of Ubehebe - That canyon you were hiking through was much more defined than I would have thought for that area. Looks real interesting. "Hawk Rock" is definitely a stand-out feature. But the main formations and cliffs basin area which you ended up in is quite spectacular. I'd really like to see that area someday.

• ADunning
  • Geologist, Musician, and DV enthusiast.
More
2 years 4 months ago #49 by ADunning
ADunning replied the topic: March 2016 Death Valley trip reports
Here's a March TR I completed today. I've been too slow! Great stuff, as always, Kauri!

dvexplore.blogspot.com/2016/05/cave-rock-spring.html

Keep up with my trip reports and informative ramblings over at dvexplore.blogspot.com !
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I miss Death Valley;...

More
2 years 4 months ago #48 by RichardK
RichardK replied the topic: March 2016 Death Valley trip reports
Really nice reports. Thanks for posting. We were there in March also. It's interesting to see how widespread the wildflower bloom was. One look at the Cottonwood return shortcut on the topo map with its closely spaced contours tells me that I don't want to go there.

• David_Bricker
  • PSR Fire Marshall
More
2 years 5 months ago #47 by David_Bricker
David_Bricker replied the topic: March 2016 Death Valley trip reports
Thanks for sharing the links! Nice to see some reports starting to flow into the new forum format.

David Bricker / SYR

More
2 years 5 months ago #45 by Kauri
Kauri replied the topic: March 2016 Death Valley trip reports
Colorful area south of Ubehebe Crater, in the Cottonwood Mountains.
kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com/resou...thOfUbehebePart1.pdf
kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com/resou...thOfUbehebePart2.pdf

Wildflower photos from the 2016 superbloom (various locations).
kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com/resou...flowersMarch2016.pdf