Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

Western Half of Lippincott Road

• David_Bricker
  • PSR Fire Marshall
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1138 by David_Bricker
David_Bricker replied the topic: Western Half of Lippincott Road
A Nissan Rouge is not really 4wd; more like 1 wheel drive. The problem with even the straight part of Lippincott is where gullies cross the road. The drop off can be steep, and they tend to be loose. Besides what David's mentioned about street tires, the lack of traction on many rental "SUVs" of today is there is no way to lock the axles for any decent traction.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kayaker77
  • kayaker77's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1137 by kayaker77
kayaker77 replied the topic: Western Half of Lippincott Road
Oh, okay - this would just be a Nissan Rogue or similar rental with street tires. I won't do it then. Looked into renting a jeep, but won't be able to this time.

This is great info - thank you so much, that is helpful!!

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #1136 by D.A. Wright
D.A. Wright replied the topic: Western Half of Lippincott Road
Yes, the road is straight between the base of the mountains to the Saline Valley road. There is nothing technical about the road (unless recent flashfloods have done some remodeling), but the trail is littered with rocks and some sand.

Rental SUV? If your own rig, how many plies tread? Many OEM street tires, if you got this far from pavement without a flat tire, will be challenged. And if you continue on up, I can guarantee tire failure. Even larger tires like those on pickups and SUVs. If it’s your rig and you have LT rated tires with a minimum of 6-ply (better yet 10 ply) treads, you’ll likely do OK.

Don’t air down street tires. The sidewalls will bulge, exposing them to sharp rocks. Flats in the treads can be plugged, but not torn sidewalls. The safest tires to air down are light truck rated, 3-ply sidewall tires like B.F. Goodrich All Terrain T/As or similar.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by D.A. Wright.

• kayaker77
  • kayaker77's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1135 by kayaker77
kayaker77 created the topic: Western Half of Lippincott Road
Hi everyone,

I will be in Death Valley next week. When I look at my map, the western half of Lippincott looks like a straight line. I've never been on this road, and am I right in assuming that even the straight part should not be done with an SUV with regular street tires? Do I need to air down to 18 - 20 psi on Saline Valley Road?

Thanks,
kayaker77