Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

Ballarat

More
3 years 6 months ago #1108 by sunvalleyjoe
sunvalleyjoe replied the topic: Ballarat
we are planning on Tecopa this Oct if it is open. we had trip planned in March but cov 19 had tecops HS shut down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• David_Bricker
  • PSR Fire Marshall
More
3 years 6 months ago #1103 by David_Bricker
David_Bricker replied the topic: Ballarat
It is pretty amazing how the stories takes twists and turns. It's difficult many times to believe, Ptk, as you mention, pretty much anything your see, hear or read regarding the desert. Of course, this is nothing new. Death Valley Scotty was doing it for years, and made a darned good living off of it. And there were numerous others.

So, I guess the current stories are just keeping the old traditions alive.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

More
3 years 6 months ago #1102 by sunvalleyjoe
some trivia when they did the TV doc on Ballarat Bandit they asked Rocky about the break in. he got some of it right but Donna was the caretaker at the time and one who got ripped off. Rocky and George still at the camp in surprise canyon. We spoke with them when we parked there I asked about the VW bus he had.

• Ptk
  • Ptk's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #1100 by Ptk
Ptk replied the topic: Ballarat
Test

More
3 years 10 months ago #1083 by sunvalleyjoe
years ago Donna the caretaker said it was owned by someone in Ridgecrest.All she told us is that they would bring a cord or so of firewood to get thru winter nights. She might have mentioned a name but that was 2 strokes ago for me.Rocky never mentioned any names just would say the owner. GBA!!SVJ

• Ptk
  • Ptk's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #1082 by Ptk
Ptk replied the topic: Ballarat
Thanks for the info.
It’s interesting that something like an abandoned truck can take a life of its own and achieve legendary status.
Many of the web sites I visited, that reference the PW, do it in absolute terms stating that it was owned/used by the so called family.
Specifically Tex Watson used it as an escape vehicle and left it where it broke down.
A few other sites claim it belonged to a mining operation and somehow found its way to Ballarat.
Supposedly someone in Barstow (I think) had genuine documentation on who owned the truck and it’s history.
Never saw that documentation posted anywhere, and in reality I stopped looking.

Also I never realized that Ballarat was owned by anyone.
Always thought it was an abandoned ghost town occasionally occupied by some true desert people.
Do you know who actually owns it?