Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

Mitchell Caverns close to Dv

• sunvalleyjoe
  • sunvalleyjoe's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 months 1 day ago #780 by sunvalleyjoe
sunvalleyjoe replied the topic: Mitchell Caverns close to Dv
Blm ranger said budget cut closed it and now in dire straits no money to repair it. Apparently not enough of visitors to keep it open.As I reported last year some one stole pipes and wiring so sad.We took our kids to it in the 80's more than once even camped in parking lot cg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #767 by Zona
Zona replied the topic: Mitchell Caverns close to Dv
So years ago I worked at a place that used GPR from space. We could see deep into the ground with this radar, and we were messing around with it. I said something about the Mitchell Caverns, and wondered if the radar would work there.
We could see that the entire roof complex is loose, and "is" going to come down. That is why it's closed, it's a plug waiting to fall in. Saw that from space at lunch, trippy.

More
1 year 5 months ago #646 by Older Fossil
Older Fossil replied the topic: Mitchell Caverns close to Dv

ADunning wrote: This has been the case essentially since the moment it closed. I was surprised it wasn't turned over to the NPS, though I suspect there was significant political roadblocks that prevented such a turnover. It's too bad, I never got to go there.

I'm really sad that this park is closed and likely will remain closed. I have visited the park and caverns several times over many years. This was a nice cavern tour that was usually not crowded. This is the only image I could find from the caverns.

• ADunning
  • Geologist, Musician, and DV enthusiast.
More
1 year 5 months ago #643 by ADunning
ADunning replied the topic: Mitchell Caverns close to Dv
This has been the case essentially since the moment it closed. I was surprised it wasn't turned over to the NPS, though I suspect there was significant political roadblocks that prevented such a turnover. It's too bad, I never got to go there.

Keep up with my trip reports and informative ramblings over at dvexplore.blogspot.com !
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I miss Death Valley;...

• sunvalleyjoe
  • sunvalleyjoe's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 5 months ago #633 by sunvalleyjoe
sunvalleyjoe created the topic: Mitchell Caverns close to Dv
Looks like someone broken into building and stole copper wire and pipes. Ranger said they may never open this State Park again.Too bad was a great place to visit and camp when our boys were young.Hole in the Wall also great place to camp.then on into Baker and up Harry Wade Road.GBA!!!