Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

cold weather camping

More
1 year 2 months ago #655 by D.A. Wright
D.A. Wright replied the topic: cold weather camping
Over the decades I've suffered through many a cold night. Nothing extreme (sub zero), but still shivering and sleepless.

One thing I started wearing for evening wear outside and around the campfire is a set of insulated full overalls. The work kind. Mine are large enough so they are not tight or confining even when I am wearing thermals and a coat underneath.

They are always in my truck, in a duffel bag behind the seats. Just in case of unexpected bad weather, a stuck or breakdown situation where I might have to wait for an extended period of time for help to arrive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #606 by Backroad Joe
Backroad Joe replied the topic: cold weather camping
I enjoy cold weather camping. It's part of the program.

I avoid heaters with tents. My thought being if I need a heater because my bag is inadequate and the heater fails, I'm screwed. My best bag is good down to -20F. Never been cold, sometimes overheat. I've learned the challenge is how to be comfortable before retiring. Around the campfire I have made use of snow boots. Love my flannel lined jeans. Could wear a layer under those if need be. I bought a big warm parka that was cheap so I don't worry about hot embers. Keep the skin covered. A good warm head-cover. If sitting around a campfire (recommended) use an additional blanket for your seat and back.

"...Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah"

• David_Bricker
  • PSR Fire Marshall
More
1 year 3 months ago #604 by David_Bricker
David_Bricker replied the topic: cold weather camping
A friend of mine had his screen tent flap attack the hot heater as well. First time out for that tent, too.

David Bricker / SYR

More
1 year 3 months ago #603 by Dan K
Dan K replied the topic: cold weather camping
Great way to stay warm. Froze my tush off one night at the springs and had a great time . Forgot to open the vent on the tent and had a very wet sleeping bag. Started the heater to dry out the tent ,with the heater sitting outside the tent and a breeze picked up. Needless to say I had to repair the screen on the tent. Watch the hot stuff. I didn't that morning Ha Ha on me. Later

• Qnet
  • Qnet's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 4 months ago #596 by Qnet
Qnet replied the topic: cold weather camping
I tried it out in our tool shed last night, works perfect, like being in a warm cabin with 10 degrees outside. I also bought a CO detector that is battery powered, just in case I didn't allow enough fresh air in for heater. We have sliding windows between truck and camper shell, a little rubber booty will allow the heater to warm both sides.

• David_Bricker
  • PSR Fire Marshall
More
1 year 4 months ago #595 by David_Bricker
David_Bricker replied the topic: cold weather camping
Looks good! Is it rated for indoor use? I know the Mr. Buddy units are rated for indoor and outdoor use. They have low oxygen sensors, etc.

In a tent, I can't see an issue. In an enclosed camper/SUV, I'd want to be sure windows were open. I'm also sure you're already aware of the ventilation requirements.

David Bricker / SYR