Re: Grantham Mine Camp
Posted by David A. Wright on November 17, 2002 at 00:51:13:
In Reply to: Re: Grantham Mine Camp posted by Dezdan on November 17, 2002 at 00:38:15:
Plaque out front of the camp reads:
"WARM SPRINGS WAS USED BY THE PANAMINT SHOSHONE NATIVE AMERICANS AS A WINTER CAMP CALLED PABUNA. DURING THE 1880íS "PANAMINT TOM" RAN A RANCH AND ORCHARD UNTIL JULY, 1887, WHEN A FLASH FLOOD WIPED OUT HIS CROPS AND 150 FRUIT TREES. DUE TO THE AVAILABILITY OF WATER AT THE SPRINGS, A MILL WAS SET UP IN 1932 TO RECOVER GOLD FROM ORE MINED AT GOLD HILL. A TALC MINING CAMP OPERATED HERE FROM THE LATE 1930íS UNTIL 1988. THE LAST CLAIM HOLDER, PFIZER INCORPORATION, DONATED THE SITE TO THE CONSERVATION FUND FOR EVENTUAL DONATION TO THE NATIONAL PARK SERVICE."