Re: how dangerous is death valley to hike in summer?
Posted by Last Chance Rand on July 02, 2002 at 18:32:48:
In Reply to: how dangerous is death valley to hike in summer? posted by tom on July 02, 2002 at 16:16:30:
In summer, I alter my hiking patterns as such:
1. I choose routes that will have occasional shade along the way, either under trees or in steep walled canyons, or even an old cabin. Sometimes, I'll take a high-noon siesta...
2. I select destinations that are in the higher elevations for cooler temps
3. I opt for shorter hikes, usually under 3 miles each way
4. Of course, I carry double my usual amount of water. This makes your backpack very heavy, but the more you drink, the lighter your load becomes. In such heat, water is everything.
5. I will usually avoid unplanned detours so as to not zap my energy
6. Consider a night hike under full or near-full moon. Golden Canyon is great for this...