Re: Several Hiking Questions
Posted by Cliff on February 15, 2002 at 01:31:23:
In Reply to: Several Hiking Questions posted by barb on February 14, 2002 at 19:21:48:
1. A.M. (more footprints blown away by overnight winds and I think the colors are better)
2. Never done that, but I would consider hiking up the bajada behind the hotel, in the direction of Mosaic Canyon.
3. Probably P.M., late. The early morning light won't shine on it, I don't think. I think the Palatte faces to the SW, which would be perfect for the setting sun.
5. You could hike Ubehebe Peak (a little remote) and see great views of Saline Valley and many mountins, including Mt. Whitney. The hike took me about 90 minutes up, about 60 minutes down. You won't see anyone on this slightly strenuous hike.
6. Only done Golden Canyon in the Black Mountains, but it is probably the most populated. You might try Desolation Canyon further south. I think it is relatively flat and smooth.